Sexual Addiction Recovery
Sexual addiction and compulsion involves any form of uncontrollable sexual activity that is secretive, shaming, or abusive. The addict will engage in the behavior despite negative, life-changing consequences such as divorce, financial trouble, job loss, health risk, and even arrest.
Consequently, sex becomes the most important priority to the addict. As the addict escalates in his/her acting out behavior, feelings of shame, guilt, and even despair increase. This assures that the addict will return to the acting out behavior. Ironically, the addict gains little satisfaction from the sexual behavior because the desired result is to numb out painful feelings and avoid feeling bored.
This cycle creates a feeling of insanity to the addict that reinforces denial and the need to isolate.
Signs of Sex Addiction and Compulsion:
- Unable to complete tasks due to excessive preoccupation with sex
- Lying to family, friends, and co-workers
- Spending excessive amounts of money
- Spending countless hours cruising the internet, parks, or streets
- Having rituals or ritualized behavior
- Arrest for sexual behavior or activity
- Cruising to find a bigger or better high
- Downloading porn at work
- Masturbating or having sex in public
- Feeling tired or low energy from acting out
- Feeling shame and guilt after acting out sexually
- Sexualizing conversations
- Touching someone without their permission
- Fantasizing and sexualizing others
- Masturbating to the point of injury